Sunday 27 April 2008

My tooth fell out!!

Last Tuesday night I was chatting on the phone to my friend Sharon and one of my front teeth just snapped off!

I should start the story about my teeth from the beginning. About ten years ago I had a fit in the street and snapped three of my top front teeth off at root level, plus split my chin which required a number of stitches.

Anyway over the next year of two I had significant dental treatment at Cardiff Dental hospital. I had a fixed brace and the roots which were still in my gums were slowly pulled out until they were half exposed. I then had three crowns put on. A dental miracle. The conslutant who repaired my teeth was a genius. I have had lovely looking teeth since then.

HOWEVER.......


When I had my fit a few weeks ago I must have fractured my front left tooth at the root (the dentist thinks this was probably due to how hard I clench my teeth) and a couple of days later the glue that held the crown on was not enough and it snapped off. I am now left looking like a hag from a medieval film. I have a huge black gap. Fortunately the nerve for this tooth was removed in previous treatment so I am not in any pain. I am however without a tooth.

I got an emergency appointment last Wednesday (day after it happened) and my dentist did a temporary repair. He popped two metal pins in the root (the half of the root still in the gum) and glued my crown - which I kept- back on. We hoped this would last until my dental appointment next Tuesday when I was booked in for x-rays and a filling anyway. Unfortunately for me the crown only stayed in for 24 hours and then fell off again.

I think my options - other than looking like an evil hideous hag are to reset the root and attach the crown or take off my two other crowns and have a bridge fitted. This would be quite a large bridge. So it looks like I will be visiting the dentist for quite some time and trying not to smile in public too much.

I have returned to work but my mouth is quite frankly embarrassing. Last time I had smashed my teeth up I had just started a new job. I found out from a couple of colleagues a year for so later that when I started they thought I must be really rough and that I must have been in a fight to have had my teeth knocked out. They said they were quite scared of me. So I guess strangers who don't know the story will think the same.

Well I have managed to get an emergency appointment tomorrow morning (Monday) rather than waiting until Tuesday. My employers are being really good and have let me book a half day. I am on probation so I am a bit worried about asking for any time off in a period where I should have my head down impressing the bosses. Still they keep telling me not to worry so i will have to try not to worry.

I would put a picture on line but I am too vain. I haven't stopped going out or to work or anything but a permanent record on the blog forever is a bit much. I am trying to stay good humoured and laugh it off as I find that that is the bet way I can cope in this particular situation.

No comments: