Wednesday 10 October 2007

Neurologists Appointment

I had a check up today with my Neurologist. Since I had my last seizures my G.P has been in touch with him, as a kind of middle man to decide how to proceed with my medication. The dose was increased to 1750mg in the morning and evening. However the neurologist seemed to be under the impression I was taking 2000mg in the morning and evening.

It is a little concerning that I am not taking what he thought. I pointed out that all that seems to happen after any break through seizure is that they just up the dose rather than figuring out the cause is or working out if the medication even works.

After a chat I was advised that I had a couple of options:

* I could keep the dose as it is and see how I get on with the option of upping the dose if I have another fit

* Or I could increase the dose to 2000mg in the morning and evening now. He said that having a small baby would make them err on the side of caution and perhaps up the dose quicker


If I had a fit on the highest dose then they would have to introduce a second Anti Convulsant to take in addition to the Keppra!

I have taken Epilim previously and am not keen on taking this again as it makes me quite tired. Anyway I have yet to decide what to do. Matthew and I will mull it over, for the next couple of days and I can then let the GP know what I want to do if I want to increase the dose.

I have spoken to people who are on two AEDs before and they were not very happy with the side effects two types of medication caused, so I am hoping this is not going to be necessary. If anyone else is on a combination of Keppra and Epilim I would be interested to know if they have any side effects.

Well that is it for now. We are on holiday in the Lake District next week so I am looking forward to the rest, some walking, and going treating myself to fish and chips at the Old Keswickian in Keswick - highly recommended if you visit Keswick. It will be Rhiannon's fist holiday, and our first holiday as parents. We are going with my Mum and Dad and are really looking forward to relaxing, the views and some walking. After last month and my seizures we are definitely ready for a break.

:-)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Dear Lisa,

I am 37 years old - I also take Keppra (750mg currently) - I suffer from complex partial and secondary generalised seizures.

I am 38 weeks pregnant and my epilepsy has not been completely controlled by the Keppra.

I am very worried about getting through labour. I have been told to refuse lots of pain relief as it may trigger seizures but have also been told that labour pain in itself may trigger a seizure. Any thoughts/advice you may have would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Sarah

Lisa said...

You don't say who has told you to refuse pain relief. Our epilepsy types is a little different. I have General/Tonic Clonic Seizures. I don't know if this effects what you can and cannot have.

I asked my neurologist prior to giving birth what pain relief I could and could not have and he said I could have the same as any other pregnant woman.

I would ask your neurologist /obstetrician what the reasons behind not using the pain relief are. I was concerned that being over tired, stressed or being in a lot of pain might set one of my fits off. He said I could have what I wanted.

I actually used a tens machine - which I just found annoying and not very helpful, partly because I kept turning it up to high and zapping myself, then I had gas and air until I was fully dilated. I was going to have a pethidine injection but I was too far gone and so I did all the pushing on gas and air. Not as bad as it sounds though I think the gas and air numbed my brain to it all a bit.

I tore quite badly (nothing to do with being epileptic) and went into theatre for stitches which was done after having an epidural. All in all I had just about all that was on offer one way or the other.

I did quite a detailed birthing plan to give to the midwives explaining my epilepsy history plus that I was concerned that being overtired, stressed or in a lot of pain may trigger a fit. They therefore intervened with forceps and an episiotomy a little earlier than they would normally have done (apparently would have left it another half an hour otherwise) so I did not become worn out.

If I was you I would ask who has told you to refuse pain relief why specifically. Why should you refuse pain relief and if you took the pain relief how would this trigger a fit. If they are not medically qualified I would ignore them and speak to your neurologist / obstetrician / midwife to put your mind at rest. Obviously you are not going to take something that will trigger a fit but you also have to get them to talk you through the pros and cons of what is available so you can make an informed decision.

You may sail through it and need nothing, or you may find that you want as much help as possible to reduce the stress and pain.

I was really worried about labour pain and the stress causing a seizure or getting over tired (put that in the birth plan too, to stress to the midwife my concerns). I started at 4 in the morning and she finally arrived after an episiotomy and forceps at 22.10 in the evening. She was absolutely beautiful and had a fine pair of lungs. I was happily exhausted and the midwives were brilliant.

Let me know if this helped and I hope I have not gone on too much. If I have not really answered your question or it brings up another question send another comment and I will be happy to help. I am back off holiday so I can reply quicker now.

Otherwise good luck with the birth, and whatever happens when you have that bundle it your arms you might not forget the pain but it is oh so worth it.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah and Lisa,

I've just arrived to this blog! So Sarah must be a mum now, and I wonder what happened with her pain relief.

I have general tonic clonic seizures and absences. When I had my daughter Sara 18 months ago, I had no problem with pain relief. No one advised against it.

oh well, I guess different people have different opinions.